* Type keywords into the "Search-This-Blog" box above
On Saturday, the 20th we had an awesome day with a large CARE initiative from 8:00 a.m. until 12 p.m.
- Bless the schools:
- We were on the campuses of 5 schools systems
- Cedar Rapids – 12 locations
- College Community – 1 location
- CPU / Center Point Urbana – 3 locations
- Linn-Mar – 7 locations
i. One of our pastors who was also the site manager, divided some of his flowers and brought them to the school.
ii. One of our local greenhouses donated a large amount of fall flowers and bulbs for spring to one of the schools.
- Marion – 7 locations
- Total of 30 locations in the five districts
- We had over 340 volunteers from 27 congregations show up to bless the schools,
i. I had asked for 660 which we did not make – turned out to be a good thing although we could have put 40 more to work.
ii. The Marion district had 5 locations we could not get to for lack of help BUT they were amazed at what we did. So am I actually.
iii. The "people had a mind to work" – although smaller in number than asked for, these volunteers REALLY worked hard!
- I have personally spoken on Saturday and today with 2 of the five buildings and grounds managers
i. CR Schools – Tom is VERY happy and all his building engineers were appreciative of the work AND the attitudes of those serving.
· He is open to this being an annual event!
· We exceeded his expectations and actually exceeded mine.
ii. Marion – "I cannot find words to express my gratitude" We exceeded his expectations.
iii. Linn-Mar – one of the teachers told us the staff would be VERY appreciative when they came in on Monday. The B & G man said he could tell the difference from his truck as he drove by two of the schools on his way to the office this morning.
iv. College Community – no contact today as yet
v. CPU: no contact today as yet
- Kids Against Hunger: We had a goal of 108 people (9 lines of 12)
- Over 84 people showed up,
- Each paying $ 42.00 to cover the ingredients and the shipping costs.
- With 14,472 meals packaged to send to a nation that we will choose where people are starving. The food will go a missions group.
- Blood Drive
- We had a goal of 60 people.
- 71 showed up with 7 being 'deferred'
- 64 donors sending blood to an area blood bank
- The blood bank folks gave us a good report, many smiles.
- Food -Drive for local food pantries
- I canceled it due to lack of admin help and
- The Boy Scouts were having their annual food drive on Saturday also, seemed like a good thing to 'not compete.'
- We will work on this in November.
- Prayer Room
- The Serve The City area prayer team was alerted to the days activities via email.
- We had a central prayer room at The Alliance Church that was staffed from 7:30 to 1:00 pm.
- We had an excel spread sheet for all 30 school locations with the location and each volunteers name. Every volunteer that pre-registered had their name called out loud and were prayed for.
- A visual for the blood drive and a visual for the Kids Against Hunger.
- Injuries – I have had no reports of any injuries! With 14 chain saws going (that I know of), 26 people up on roofs, a handful on ladders painting, axes, machetes, weed whackers etc. going, no injuries. One of the pastors had his machete fly off the tree and into his leg but no skin was broken! This is a real praise the Lord.
- No shows: This was less than 10 that I have had reported HOWEVER, we over 20 show up that had not registered! Both of these numbers are amazing!
- Couldn't find us: As far as I know, we only had four people (2 couples) that could not find their work crews and went home. I have spoken by phone to one couple and written them both a letter of apology.
It was a very good day!
===>Click headline to access Serve The City website . . .
* Become part of the Mission America Coalition ~ Visit: http://www.MissionAmerica.org